09 November 2006

An open letter to Mr Hassan Ibrahim

I have received a touching personal letter from one Hassan Ibrahim that, as I strongly felt, deserves a public answer. There is a lesson to many of us simple mortals in this story. Here is a part of Mr Ibrahim's letter:

Hello my friend,
Hope this day finds you well?,
Am MR HASSAN IBRAHIM a merchant in DUBAI,
I have been diagnosed with
Esophageal cancer, It has defiled all forms of medical treatment, and
right now I have only about a few months to live, according to medical
experts.

I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never
really cared for anyone (not even myself) but my business. Though I am
very rich, I was never generous,I was always hostile to people and only
focused on my business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now
I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just
wanting to have or make all the money in the world.
Dear Mr. Ibrahim,

Am SnoopyTheGoon, co-owner of the SimplyJews blog without any dreams of becoming rich or owning a business anytime soon in this life.

I am deeply sorry to hear about your malady. Obviously it is so powerful that, besides causing you to pepper your text with punctuation marks in particular no order, it also defiles all forms of medical treatment.

I appreciate your generous offer of money, but I think I can offer you a better alternative. Just turn your back on all these unbelievable riches and forget them. Embrace Islam, dear Mr. Ibrahim, and ye shall enjoy the purity and spiritual riches unknown to you theretofore. As Allah has said in the Quran:
And give good news (O Muhammad) to those who believe and do good deeds, that they will have gardens (Paradise) in which rivers flow.... (Quran, 2:25)
Allah has also said:
Race one with another for forgiveness from your Lord and for Paradise, whose width is as the width of the heavens and the earth, which has been prepared for those who believe in God and His messengers.... (Quran, 57:21)
So, Hassan dear, race for forgiveness and you shall behold the gardens of Paradise. Before you turn your back on the money, however, do not forget to transfer all your ill-gained profits to the account number that a messenger of Allah will make known to you by means of a specially sealed envelope.

(The messenger of Allah answers the name of Ahmed, has a lame leg and blinks frequently.)

Be well, Hassan, and do not let your disease near young virgins, lest it defiles them!

Al-hamdu lillah.

***

0 comments: