17 September 2006

Clarification required

The following page from Yahoo! News left more questions than answers in my mind (click on the picture to enlarge):

Not being an expert on usage of English in some delicate situations like this one, where a major religion is involved, I tried to understand better the meaning of "hump of Islam". The following alternatives offered by a dictionary are hardly enlightening:

Noun: hump

1. Something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form

Verb: hump

1. Arch one's back
2. [vulgar] Have sexual intercourse with

Confusing, isn't it? But it is only half of the mystery. The second half is hidden in the Reuters' caption to the picture:

Muslims deplore on Friday remarks on Islam by Pope.

How exactly does one deplore on something? Is it like "Darling, our dog deplored on the carpet in the living room again!"?

An expert opinion Will be welcomed.