18 April 2006

Reading Thamus

Thamus hardly knows about our existence, but we do lurk around his place here and yes, we like what we see. We even like his portrait (no doubt by his own brush):



















We'd like to quote him more, but I still cannot figure out that cursed system he uses for his blog (something named StumbleUpon). As a result I cannot link his pieces. A good-hearted person is sought to advise on that matter.

Meanwhile, I am compelled to copy/paste an article that cracked me up recently, and I just have to share it with my guests:


Happy Easter, Stumble Bunnies

Happy Easter to all my friends and Stumble Bunnies. Eugene Wason, a former distinguished editor of The Belfast Telegraph once briefed a staff journalist on what he needed for a seasonal piece:
"Please write an article about Easter - but for God's sake keep religion out of it."
Pagan Easter traditions, along with Christmas celebrations, were among the first casualties of the Protestant Reformation. These holidays were eventually restored, but some Christians - usually, but not always fundamentalists - continue to reject the celebration of Easter because they believe it to be irrevocably tainted with paganism and idolatry.
That is the view of Jehovah's Witnesses, who instead observe "The Memorial" - that is, a commemoration of the Last Supper
In his 'De Temporum Ratione' the Venerable Bede (672-735) wrote that the month Eostremonat (April) was so named because of a goddess, Eostre, who had formerly been worshipped in that month.

  • Did you know the name for Easter in most world languages - including Welsh, Croatian, Gaelic, Norwgian, Persian, Afrikaans, Tagalog and Arabic - comes from one Hebrew word meaning "passover?"
I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I do, and I hope Thamus will forgive me the barbaric way I have behaved with his text.

0 comments: