21 October 2013

Now pray, Roger...


The following passage is copied from a NYT piece titled If Not Now, When?, penned by Roger Cohen, who appeared frequently on these pages (as usual, my definition of Roger Cohen: a man who rarely misses an opportunity to miss a point stands re this specific article):
In Jerusalem’s Old City I was walking this year down from the Damascus Gate. Crowds of Palestinians were pouring out of a Friday service at the Al Aqsa Mosque. A large group of Orthodox Jews was moving in the opposite direction, toward the Western Wall. Into this Muslim-Jewish melee, out of the Via Dolorosa, a cluster of Christians emerged carrying a large wooden cross they tried to navigate through the crowd. It was a scene of despair for anyone convinced faiths and peoples can be disentangled in the Holy Land. Looked at another way it was a scene of hope, even mirth.
I imagine myself being little Roger's teacher of journalism and reading this in his homework. Then I, as his teacher, search in my desk's drawer for a ruler. On the whole, choosing between a steel one, a heavy and short wooden one and a long and flexible wooden one, I would, most probably, select the latter.

Then I shall say; "Roger, please place your hands on your desk. You can close your eyes".

And then I'll add, not unkindly: "Now pray, Roger..."

6 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Always in search of the worm in the apple.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

This one is a pretty big worm.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

I meant he is, not you.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Well, I got it, why I said that it's a big one ;-)

On the other hand, I am a fairly sizable one too.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Roger Cohen still has not figured out that the Palestinians whether PLO or Hamas are not ready to make peace. Does he ever bother to read the hate campaign mounted against Israel by the Palestinians? It appears not.

Ex-Shin Bet chief says that the West Bank is on the verge of erupting into violence and it is Israel's fault for not making peace with the Palestinians at http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.553697
Any opinions?

SnoopyTheGoon said...

There was an episode of "Law & Order" about a half dozen years ago, in which an Orthodox Jewish husband, who was a crooked diamond dealer working with the Russian Mob, would not give his wife the get she needed for a religious divorce. The wife decided to go a bit further than Rabbi Epstein and paid his mobster associates to kill Hubby, thereby taking care of her problem for good.



I agree that Orthodox Law has got to change not only to prevent folks like Rabbi Epstein from beating up husbands who will not give their wife a get, but to bring Orthodox marriage into the present.