24 September 2009

Michael Moore vs. capitalism

I have to confess to something shameful: I don't like Michael Moore. For some intangible and elusive reason, each time I see his picture or watch him on TV or even think about him, the same image comes to mind, born by a quote from an incomparable Russian satirist Ilia Ilf - "Entangled in his own snot, a boy entered the room".

In this case, I haven't seen Moore entering the room. But exiting it, he was definitely covered with more snot than he carried initially, all of that of his own doing. Judge for yourself:

Moore: ...And whoever has the money has the power. And right now, in America, tonight, Larry, the richest 1 percent have more financial wealth than the bottom 95 percent combined.

King: You're in that 1 percent, though?

Moore: I don't think I'm in that 1 percent, but I make documentary films. But I mean, obviously, I do well because my films have done well. But, you know, even if I were, I think it's my responsibility -- my moral duty that if I've done well, that I have to make sure that everybody else.

King: Does well too or has a chance?

Moore: Well, has at least a chance but that -- and that the pie is divided fairly amongst the people and not just a few people get the majority of the loot and everybody else has to struggle for the crumbs.
Divided fairly... will it be too cheap of me to inquire what part of the pie Moore collects from his "documentaries" goes to his film crew? Also - compared to, for example, his bill for Krispy Kreams?

Nah, let's leave him alone, with his snot, of course.

Otherwise, you know, I could even like him, fat, self-aggrandizing, lying no-good SOB that he is. Why not, really?

0 comments: