07 December 2013

Amazon drones: pushing us into the brave new world


I am more than sure that the new Amazon Octocopters venture is not just a marketing ploy. The idea of ordering stuff to have it dropped on your porch in a few hours is deeply appealing.

I can see the not so distant future, when the drones, having matured in their confidence and intelligence, will undertake some additional chores, such as:
  • Leaving reviews of the books or other purchased items they drop, something in the vein of:"This story did not intrigue me at all. I fell asleep almost every time I picked it up. I literally struggled to finish it. It was written well I won't deny that. It just didn't captivate me. I'm glad I'm done with it."*
  • Cutting open the infamous plastic "blister" packaging to make it buyer-accessible.
  • Mowing lawns in need of attention.
  • Taking on some punitive roles. "Dear Sir/Madam, I am sorry to inform you that due to non-payment of the three electricity bills in a row I have disconnected your power line this morning. Your friendly Amazon drone at your service".
And much more, the sky is the limit - and only a temporary one at that!
 
(*) Borrowed from Good Reads for the purpose.

3 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

I'll believer it when I see one. Until then...

Meanwhile, I inadvertently clicked on the Ye Olde Scribbler link on your right sidebar here and, lo and behold, it's back from the dead.

I even got an email from Yahoo! telling me to update my billing info. No other explanation. Just you requested and so we complied. Ten days after I requested. They're still thieves in my book.

As soon as my IT guy is well (he's sick at the moment) he will be moving Ye Olde off of Yahoo! for me. Probably to the new Scribbler address. We'll have to talk about that. For now, both will work, though I will only update the new one.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Yep, if he could copy all the stuff from Yahoo, it will be a good move.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

We shall see (or better not?) about the drones.

And re Yahoo - all's well that ends well.