Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.This was a great and all-inclusive definition of PC picked up here.
There's an annual contest at Bond University, Australia, calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term. This year's chosen term was 'political correctness'.(With thanks to Peter the Hungarian for the tip).
I kept this quote for a nice case of PC absurdity and here comes a yearly resume of some blissfully idiotic cases. Ladies and gentlemen, The 11 Most Politically Correct Moments on College Campuses in 2014! Laugh or cry - it's up to you.
(I will let you read the article, putting here just the highlights to whet your appetite):
- Princeton University students launched a microaggression-reporting service.
- College students invented a roofie-detecting nail polish — only to be told that that’s actually also rape culture.
- Students hosted an anti-rape-culture rally only to be told that’s — yep — actually also rape culture.
- A school campaigned against “offensive” language such as “wuss,” “you guys,” and “derp” because it has an “oppressive impact on culture.
- Students opposed a female-to-male transgender candidate for class diversity officer because he’s a white man.
- A school told its orientation officers not to use the word “freshman” because it promotes rape.
- A liberal group demanded the school teach a mandatory transgender-sensitivity class to right the wrongs of colonial America.
- A student newspaper’s editorial board wrote a whole piece about how racist bras are.
- The War on Tacos.
- The War on Coconut Bras.
- Harvard University was about to stop buying water machines from the Israeli company SodaStream because they might be a microaggression.