01 June 2016

Malia Bouttaia, political blackness and my immediate future


Some people criticise Malia Bouttaia, who is, according to them "also a Black Students’ Officer known for “Political Blackness” – despite being from Algeria, and not actually a black woman at all". These people also say:
“Politically Black” is a term adopted by non-black people of colour who identify with the struggle against racism and oppression. It has been repeatedly criticised for being used for political gain while silencing actual black voices within the movement.
I reject these insinuations. If people could identify themselves as dogs, cats, dragons, not to mention the proliferation of gender self-identification, why can't a person identify self as carrying any color?

Now I can get to my own problem. On one hand, I identify myself as Warren Buffett, so far without the resources this worthy gentleman possesses, but I am sure it's only a matter of time. But on the other hand, I increasingly feel the need to come out of the closet and to confess that for many years I have been Antique Fuchsia, as far as my skin color is concerned.

Now what happens if Mr Buffett doesn't share my color identity?

Questions, questions...

0 comments: