24 November 2011

Winning a bet with SandMonkey

Isn't technology wonderful? I have my calendar and my reminders synchronized to so many different pieces of electronics that its' only by good luck and force majeure that my kettle, my* washing machine and my* iron don't clamor for my attention and don't remind me of the above.

Anyway, two out of three** of the electronic Golems didn't forget to remind me that this same day three months ago I've read a tweet from Sandmonkey aka Mahmoud Salem, a famous Egyptian blogger turned aspiring politician (let's keep out fingers crossed for his success). In this tweet, which I didn't keep, Mahmoud expressed his certainty that they will never find the (late) Moammar Gaddafi after his hasty retreat from the capital. I have sent a tweet to Mahmoud, offering a bet that he will be found inside of three months from the date of the tweet. Of course, being busy and famous, Mahmoud eschew the challenge. Frankly, I would have done the same, not being a whale for bets myself.

And here we are today...


(*) When I say "my" re these important and useful implements, I mean it in the sense of common ownership, of course. Not in the sense of actually... well, you know what I mean.
(**) Why the third one did forget is a good question I should investigate today. Bad PDA!

4 comments:

Yitzchak Goodman said...

The really essential piece of electronics is the fridge.

Brian Goldfarb said...

The comment on electrical goods reminds me of a long-ago Woody  Allen riff on tv (when he was still a stand-up comic) in which he complained (in his unique whiny tomes) that the electrical equipment in his apartment ganged up on him, until he lined them up and threatened them with a monkey wrench, and then the lift in his apartment block whizzed him up and down, until it finally spat him out in the garage the beneath the building. As he reeled away, he insisted that the lift uttered "an anti-semitic word" (you have to imagine Allen separating the word out)

SnoopyTheGoon said...

It's not a laughing matter. Our current fridge has a CPU and a LCD panel on it. I ma genuinely afraid of what it might do to us if its software gets a virus...

SnoopyTheGoon said...

He he. No, I didn't hear that one.